The initiative is a project of the Aga Khan Development Network
Before Conservation/Significance

Built during the lifetime of Hazrat Nizamuddin Auliya in the years 1321-22, this is the only Baoli in Delhi which still has underground springs. In July 2008, portions of the Baoli collapsed and after exhaustive scientific analysis and consultation with the community, conservation works to rebuild the collapsed portion could commence. For the first time in centuries, the Baoli was de-silted to its original depth of 80 feet below the ground level and major repairs including the removal of the 20th century epoxy layer carried out.

The vaulted southern arcade of the Baoli is contemporary to its Tughlaq construction as are possible the two domed pavilions on either side of its northern edge. The western side of the Baoli has three monuments – the Chini-Ka-Burj, Gogabai tomb and the Lal Chaubara while the eastern side has the vaulted corridor leading to the Dargah.

Baoli Monuments

Following the completion of conservation of the Baoli, conservation effort a now focussed on the western facade where in addition to planned conservation works of Gogabai Tomb, Chini ka Burj, alterations to a residential structure are being carried out to restore the arcade seen in archival images.

Related Information
Our Team
  • Archaeological Survey of India
  • Aga Khan Trust for Culture